Sunday, August 30, 2009

It's been a very productive weekend. Yesterday Steve and I made our monthly sojourn to Winston to Total Wine and Fresh Market. Managed to spend a bunch, but it will get us through the month. Well, the meat, anyway.
I got my most recent fire quilt back on Friday and was thrilled to see that I still like it. I will have to think about where to enter it in the next year or so.
I am even more thrilled that I finished the coleus leaf yesteray. It was a bit wonky, so I threw a damp linen dish towel over it and pressed it and it took the waviness right out. It's more perpendicular than the Lily. So - here it is - what do you think?

Here is the whole piece on a black background. I haven't made the quilt backing for Jennifer to work her magic on yet. This took longer than the lily. Not sure why. Here is a closer up:



Got a lot of house cleaning, some birthday cards, and lots of laundry done. Wednesday, Sept. 2nd., is Steve's uncle's birthday. He will be 97 years old and still an incredibly alert and intelligent man. We get to visit him in 3 weeks when we make our New England trip.

I have to make a not-fun comment here. I have always liked WonderUnder as a fusible. I especially liked reusing the paper backing from it. I got a bad bunch back in the early spring and, after posting about it on Quiltart digest, I got the info to contact the company and complain. Michele was very nice and apologized and sent me an entire bolt of WU, along with their new paper-less WU, and some new thing that has a clear backing. Karen Fridy and I have had some problems again with the new bolts. It has to be a different product. The fusible webbing doesn't want to melt and stays quite stringy. At the same time, the backing is still peeling off in strips and small pieces. I am very unhappy and will let Pellon know. The fusible that has no paper backing is heavy and not a great find. I have been a little hesitant to use the new product, having had few reasons to use fusible at all this weekend. I will be contacting Pellon again. They really need a product control person to be checking this stuff.

that's all for now.

1 comment:

Karen Newman Fridy said...

I emailed her about the second (replacement) bolt being bad also and have not heard back. I was going to ship both bolts to Pellon but since I paid retail for the first, and since I haven't had a response this time, I think I'm going to try to take the puchased bolt back to the store and see if I can get a refund. I'm really disappointed... I have a big class to teach next weekend and no workable fusible in hand to go with. Looks like I'll get to find out what everyone likes about MistyFuse...