Monday, December 27, 2010

Happy New Year and New Work for Jonesboro!

Subscribe with Bloglines
First - Happy Holidays everyone! I hope you all had a warm and wonderful time with family and/or friends. We did both and are so thankful for the fact that we get to see all of the kids and parents, and that we enjoy it.

I am way behind in both keeping up the blog and getting these pieces made for the show in Jonesboro. I should have 10 pieces done by March 1st, so I can let them know sizes, numbers, etc. I am excited to report that today I have 2 pieces very well on their way and several sketches that I can't wait to get to.

As I move along this new path, I find I am really enjoying playing with fabric and metals, and making something arty and unusual and hopefully, beautiful, that others will enjoy. I know not all others will, but I hope some will. I like the Chinese-style coins on the right and the hammered and colored copper wire. I haven't yet decided how to attach the wire, or what I want the final effect to be.

Well, here is a HUGE detail photo of the top of the piece. Orange torn, hand-dyed fabric (dyed for me by my friend, Laura McGrath - http://periwinkle-quilts.blogspot.com/), copper sheeting that I annealed with a blow torch and hammered for texture, and a curly-cue of bronze mesh. Combining fabric with metals is a lot of fun and offers such a variety of textures and techniques.This is a very preliminary stage. Nothing is attached except the background, which is sandwiched with batting and black backing. But I am still thrilled with how much I have accomplished in 2 days. I don't believe I've been able to do this much in months and months.
I'd like to know your thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc. about this piece, but please hurry! I have a lot more to do, both on this and upcoming work. And I am off work all this week, so I intend to be creating in leaps and bounds!

AND - have you considered your word for 2011?  I hope mine will be two-fold - Search and Discover. I intend to search out more techniques for working with metal on fabric and discover more about myself and  my fascination with both metal and fabric.
I hope you will think about what you'd like 2011 to be? Rather than making resolutions that will be broken within a week and make us feel guilty again, why not establish a word in your mind that will inspire you? I'd love for you to share them  - either on your blogs or here, on mine.

Thanks for looking and have a Happy New Year!

5 comments:

Wen said...

looks like you are having fun experimenting!
you go girl!
more! more! ah he he he!

Jenny Williams said...

Thanks Wen! This is so much more freeing than representational work, but still kind of apprehensive. I'm moving forward, though, and loving it.

Zoe Nelson said...

Wow! Very interesting. I think I'm liking where you're going with this.

Laura McGrath said...

We haven't been able to have lunch lately and keep up with our projects--have to get back into that once classes start back up again. Love the rust fabric, I'm so happy you can use it and it looks great w/turquoise & the metals. Got my computer back today, met the computer tech from work, Kevin, in Asheboro, have been feeling isolated from the outside world without it for an entire week.

Gotta love the Christmas snowstorm, too! Wasn't it great?

Eileen said...

I love all the colors you chose. Looks like you got your motor running!