Saturday, April 19, 2008

Happy Dancing!

I just received a letter from the Rocky Mount Arts Center. "NC Forests - Under Fire" has been accepted in their 51st Annual Juried Art Exhibit. It runs from May 24-Sept. 14, 2008. Yippeee! I was contemplating making a new piece because I wasn't totally thrilled with the way the fire kind of "floats", but now I can wait awhile. I must say I'm surprised, because getting a decent photo has been a realy bear. The pine tree needles are rayon thread and really "shine" from the flash.


And there's another bad fire that started up in Haywood County yesterday and is already 200 acres. That's just the other side of Silva in the mountains. Pretty treacherous for the fire fighters to get to. So much wind and extremely low humidity.

So that's two quilts that will be shipped out in May. My Self-Portrait will be going to the I-4 Corridor show to Mary's portrait gallery. Pamela Allen also has a piece in that show. I feel so much better now.


I planted my garden this morning and I'm so looking forward to some fresh stuff. I put in 3 Romas (I roast them a lot and use them for fresh tomato, basil & mozzarella with pasta), 2 Best Boy, and 1 bush plant that isn't supposed to need staking. I'm really anxious to see how that does. I got my mother a tomato plant specifically for container gardening. I also put in 3 bell peppers - 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 green. And 2 containers of basil that split up into 8 separate plants.

In the photo above you can see the monster Rosemary bush. Steve had to but a bunch off that was hanging over into the garden.



Here is a view from the long end. The big pepper plant in front is blocking the basil plants.


Here are the herbs - they are perennial. The chives and marjoram are in far back corner, with the tarragon coming up in the center. My Gerbera Daisy on the left. Grass needs cutting, but it's been too dry. We have a slight chance to get some rain today, but doesn't look like it.


And here are Steve's cute little radishes. The carrots didn't come up. I guess the seeds must be too old or he planted too late. Maybe he'll get some good radishes, though.

Now I can go work on my butterflies!

No comments: