Friday, April 25, 2008

Professional Art Quilter's Alliance-South spring exhibit

Yes, I've been a slackard this week. There has been so much going on that I haven't taken time to think to blog. I had to drive to Raleigh on Wednesday to set up a Heart Gallery in the Southern Women's Home Show. I had to have 2 fabric postcard classes this week, as one of the women couldn't make it on Thursday, so we finished hers up Wednesday. The other two we did last night. It's been a lot of fun, but I don't think they got as much out of it as I or they had hoped. They are traditional quilters and very good at it. I think they expected to sit down and make a really fabulous fabric postcard on the very first try, and neither of them do much zigzagging or any threadpainting. They were frustrated, but their pieces came out really really well. Hopefully, tomorrow we will move on to photos printed on fabric and threadpainted.

Tonight I am driving to Raleigh again straight from work. The PAQA-S ARTQUILTScultures show's opening reception is tonight. I wasn't thrilled with some of the choices the jurors made, but I think it will still be a good show. I want to see for myself. I will be staying with Keri and Sarah, so that will be fun. Steve has Operations duty tomorrow, so he can't come. Girls Night!

Selena Sullivan's "Guardian of Generations was chose by the ARTQUILTScultures committee (me, Ann Flaherty, and Jana Lankford, along with the PAQA-S President, Christine Hager-Braun) to be featured on the postcard. This piece also won Best of Show. Unfortunately, the postcard orientation is incorrect - it should be horizontal with the lady on the right hovering over the ones on the left.



I will go home early tomorrow morning. I have so much going on - I really need to work on my butterfly piece, I promised I would show the ladies how to threadpaint tomorrow afternoon, and I haven't started those pesky director's chair covers yet! Bah.

I was going to take my Lichen Tree piece to the PAQA-S show to be featured in the glass case at the entrance to the museum, but I cut the borders off and put it in a shadow box. That would be fine, except I did it very haphazardly and didn't realize how bad it looked. It's one of my favorite pieces and Steve told me to take it to a frame shop and have them do it right. I really should. Even if I keep it myself. This is the piece before I cut off the borders. I just didn't like them. This piece is a photograph I took in the Blue Ridge Mountains on one of Steve's and my Fall day trips a couple of years ago. It's printed on fabric and the background parts are highlighted with Water Soluble Oil Pastels to give it a bit more oomph. The lichen on the tree is entirely threadpainted by machine.



And what would a blog be without a Cutie Patootie picture?









No comments: