Thursday, July 17, 2008

One Fantastic Week!

This has been a very good week! Steve came home Tuesday afternoon and I received a big fat acceptance letter from Univ. Missouri's art quilt show, "Threadlines". Woo hoo! I really had forgotten that I'd entered! They accepted my Abstracts Dancing, which was in the PAQA-S show last year (ARTQUILTSmarkings) and the first show I had ever entered. I am thrilled!
I took the day off yesterday to spend some time with Steve, but also had to take my CRV to the Honda dealer at 7:30 am. It was making a grinding sound when I turned the wheel hard to the left. Turned out to be the rear differential - right, like I know what that is! But it was only $70, and added to my inspection, $108. We were worried it might be a lot more, so that was excellent, too.
Steve took a well-deserved nap yesterday afternoon after cleaning out the state Jeep he drives. Poor guy has been putting in 16 hours a day for two full weeks. I hope he doesn't have to go back, but he thinks he might. OTOH, he did make an extra $3800! We could use that again!
Another nice thing that happened was receiving an email from Christine Hager-Braun, the president of PAQA-South, asking me to send her images (jpgs) of 2 of my quilts and 2 others from last year's show to be published in the Town of Cary's PR magazine. I think that's very cool indeed.
I also applied for a position with Davidson County DSS in the Child Support section. The price of gas is forcing me to work closer to home. Almost $600/month is way too much - even if I love my job. That's $7200 a year!!!! That's outrageous. Even if my director allowed me to work at home 2 days a week, it would still be outrageouos. Considering I would stand to get a few thousand more a year in salary and add on the savings in gas - man! What a nice raise that would be!
Tonight is the last night of my ArtQuilt 101 class. It's been a lot of fun and they had a lot of fun, too. Next month we move on to threadpainting. I'm going to give Lynne a couple of my smaller pieces to hang in the shop to generate interest. I do like the smaller sizes - 5 or 6 - but I could make more money if I had more people.

1 comment:

Karen Newman Fridy said...

Hey, be sure to negotiate an early lunch once a month before you accept this new position (so you can come to Beecassos!)