Monday, August 25, 2008

Journal Art Quilt Project

I was so excited last week to learn that my quilt "North Carolina Forests - Under Fire II" was juried into the Journal Art Quilts Project "Elements: Earth, Wind, Water, Fire" that will open at the International Quilt Festival in House at the end of October. It will also be in the IQG in Chicago in the Spring and I guess the IQF at Long Beach in the summer. Wonder if they will go to Lowell, too, or if they are too close together. The 2007 exhibit was split - half went to Long Beach and half to Lowell. A friend in Lowell said she went to see the exhibit and was drawn to a piece with beaches when she looked up and saw my name. That was pretty cool.

I have to say that the whining and complaining on the QA Digest has been very disgruntling. People whose quilts were not accepted throwing little mini-tantrums because they didn't know "why" their quilt wasn't chosen. This was the first year that Karey Bresenhan, found of the JQ Project, decided to have it juried so she wouldn't be overrun with a thousand little quilts. People were not happy about that, but entered anyway. Obviously - everyone couldn't be chosen. I don't know why mine was, but I am thrilled. Some of the names of well-known people (not the whiners) whose quilts weren't chosen really surprised me and made even prouder that mine was accepted. I wish I could post a photo of the quilt, but not until the show opens.

So Saturday I spend half the day driving around Winston-Salem looking for paper foil. I went to Michaels, AC Moore, JoAnn's Fabric, and some other little place. Not one of them sold foil. I was so psyched about doing a picture of the Northern Lights using some cool foil. Nada. I went home and tried to paint them - but just didn't do it justice. I should have ordered it last week when I saw it online. I have ordered it now, so one of these days I will get back to it and try to capture that glowing, undulating mass of brilliant greens and irridescent purples.

I've also decided that I'm going to get started on my Christmas cards to get them out of the way. (Also because I'm teaching a class making them in October.) Then I will make my Christmas gifts and then I will have Christmas time to play. I want to really focus on the butterfly project. I have pretty much figured out what I want to do, but can't make myself go to it. I really want to clean up and reorganize my studio before I begin so I can think clearly. I need a place to store my quilts (the ones I can't hang around the house because there's nowhere to hang them). I think I will use a skirt hanger that I believe someone on the QA digest mentioned. It hangs straight down but has several bars with clips for hanging them flat. I also need to find a better place for my boombox and cd's. I'm thinking I'll clear off the top of the dresser and put them up there, out of the way. Right now they are on one of the twin beds beside the pile of quilts. Things have a way of encroaching on the quilts - especially as my music library increases. Well - that will be a couple of months away. Man, I just know that as soon as Labor Day comes and goes, Christmas will feel like it's a month away and will creep up on us too quickly.

No photos this time. I'm sure I'll have some next week as the whole family is coming for Labor Day, which means I get to see my Cutie Patootie again!

No comments: