Tuesday, August 5, 2008

It's been a couple of weeks since I last blogged because I didn't want to post anything without the photos. Now I have them and can add a bit more interest. There is still not a lot happening this summer. Kind of boring, actually.

First I want to post my piece for Breaking Traditions' "With One Voice" exhibit that will be held in Novi, Michigan, in November. The $10 registration fee will be donated to the American Cancer Society for Virginia Spiegel. The exhibit will travel to several cities - I believe there are 3 in Michigan at this time - before returning home to me. It is in the car and ready to be taken to the post office today.
Here is a photo of my art quilt:


"With One Voice" was created to celebrate those people or agencies or organizations who do good for the community, the county, the country, whether it is thanking your neighbor for shoveling your driveway or an organization you'd like to thank for doing something wonderful.

NC Kids Adoption and Foster Care Network is the organization I want to thank, even though it's also my employer. We are the Resource Exchange for the NC DSS where all social workers register their foster children who are legally free for adoption. Our Family Service Reps answer questions to families about the North Carolina children and the NC process of becoming foster or adoptive families. I personally write the profiles of the children and scan their photos. This is all put into our Photo Adoption Listing Service (PALS), on http://www.adoptnckids.org/, http://www.adoptuskids.org/, and http://www.adoption.com/. When a familiy interested in adopting sees a child they feel a connection with, they call us (1-877-625-4371) and our FSR's work with them. We successfully assisted in 30 adoptions in the last year and are thrilled to have made a difference. So here's to NC Kids!
I found a photograph on Flickr that I flipped over and wanted to try to adapt to fabric. I contacted the photographer through her blog and she emailed me with permission to use the photo. So now I had to figure out how to create ocean foam on a wet sandy beach. I posted to the Quilt Digest and received numerous suggestions from using Angelina fibers to melting celophane, to using cheesecloth, Solvey water soluble stabilizer, and threadpainting. I gathered the information all together and visualized how it might work out.

I had 5 yards of Vilene, which is a heavier water soluble stabilizer than Solvey (used a lot by needle felters), and used it doubled, as suggested by Heidi Lund. Heidi's suggestions most closely correlated with what was in the back of my mind. She said to use the water soluble stuff doubled, and to use different threads and metallic thread. She said that if I didn't rinse ALL of the stabilizer out, it might be easier to shape and retain the shape. Well - she was right. Here is the first part of that process:


I hooped this in an 8" wooden hoop to prevent too much draw up. I used a gold/brown towel on the background so it would show up better, but the lacey foam is pretty delicate. I used a white shiney polyester thread first, then highlighted it with Sulky's Sliver Metallic. Here is a closeup - if it helps:

This is just a practice piece and the first step, so the final one won't be so round. I will add color and some other things for a surprise. Hint: those holes were intentional and will be filled! We'll see how it goes after this weekend.
Speaking of this weekend, I hope to drive to the Rocky Mount Arts Center to view the exhibit and see my "North Carolina Forests Under Fire" quilt. The VCR in our bedroom died over the past weekend and we've trying to decide what to do. New TV- wait - he's been pacing about it all week. So - maybe I'll get to see the show this week and maybe not. And maybe I can post a photo next week of the show.

3 comments:

frazzledsugarplummum said...

Hi Jenny,
I followed the suggestions made with reference to your request on the Quiltart Digest.....foaming waves. They were all interesting and really quite wonderful. I too kept the links for a future project. Thanks for that. I like what you are trying out there with Vilene. Looking forward to seeing how you interpret your vision.
All the best with the process.
Shirley

Jenny Williams said...

I'm glad someone else is interested in trying to make the foam. Thanks for your comment, Shirley! I will not likely post anymore until after I know whether it is accepted into the exhibit I'm hoping to enter it in. I will take photos along the way, and if it works out, will post them later.
Jenny

Fannie said...

Very nice submission for Breaking Traditions, Jenny! Congrats.