Monday, November 3, 2008

Lots of new work


Subscribe with Bloglines

Well, I've been pretty busy again. Making Christmas cards, which I can't show you here. I made another piece for the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Iniative, which I forgot to size for this.
But the big news is that 2 people sent me photos of my Forest Fire quilt in Houston! I was so thrilled to see them. Sherry Kleinman had a beautiful piece in our spring PAQA-South show and I sent her (along with the other artists) photos of her piece hanging in the show. Also the catalog. And then she kindly reciprocated with three wonderful photos. Here is the best one:


And then my friend, Jeanelle McCall in Texas, sent me a fabulous photo with this note:
"A lot of the comments I heard about yours was WOW I can really feel the heat. Yours was FABULOUS. You were there in spirit!!!
: >
Jeanelle"
Thanks for that, Jeanelle. And if you haven't seen enough of this quilt, here is Jeanelle's photo.



I've also finished my commissioned piece and am pretty thrilled with this. Steve isn't. But that's not unusual - some of my favorite pieces are not his favorites, and some of the ones he goes wild over I am sometimes almost apathetic about. So - tomorrow I'll find if the person likes it. Yikes. Here is a photo, although it really doesn't show up well - I tried lots of angles and distances and lights. It just doesn't want to photograph well. But here it is anyway.




Another thing I am excited about is having my friend, Lynne, who owns the quilt shop, has finally broken out of her block/box and stepped up to the artquilt plate. She decided on her own after hearing about the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative, to make some herself. She's really proud of herself and thrilled at joining her first Yahoo Group challenge, and I am thrilled for her. Here are her fabulous little (9" x 12") art quilts.


This one is called "Pieces" - for obvious reasons, but how cool of her to transfer her love of traditional blocks into something so cool for the AAQI.


This one was done with her new die-cut machine, but she was clever (and artistic!) enough to also make the shadows. The colors and layout are very good, too.



And this is my favorite. She calls it "Out of the Box" - which is perfect. Her traditional quilt is literally spilling out of the box it is in. The quilt falls out the front about 1" and is perfect. Great job, Lynne! I am really proud of you for jumping out of your box!

1 comment:

-k. said...

Yay Lynne! Tell her I just love the new stuff! Good job!