Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Advice Needed - Thread Lace


Subscribe with Bloglines

Nearly all of my work has been realistic or representational and I have wanted to try my hand at some abstract or simplie collage work. I am finding that I am being drawn to really well-executed collage with simple lines and not a lot of extraneous "stuff". I have been experimenting with different techniques to use in collage, but now find that they are pretty "important" pieces (to me) in themselves and I am really unsure of where to take them. I need some advice/suggestions/HELP! on where to go with these pieces that seem to be "whole works", for want of a better description.

The first piece I'm posting is Thread Lace. I took handfuls of thread that I had been saving in its own wastebasket along with some ribbons, trims, etc. and laid it all out between 2 layers of Vilene (heavier water soluble stabilizer). I machine stitched it all together with several different threads - a green/blue variegated, orange, and clear monofilament. When I thought it was stitched enough to not fall apart when I immersed it in water, I put it in the sink and dissolved the stabilizer. Here is what remains:



I love this on the black background and I love how it turned out. But what do I do now? I love it, but it needs something more. Yet, not so much that it detracts from the main body of lace. Perhaps a particular edge treatment would help? Hand stitching? I wouldn't know where to begin. Beading? The trim in the lace already looks like beads, but I guess more could be added. I'd love to work this into something to enter a show, but it's just kind of "there" right now...
Here is a little more detailed image:


Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

5 comments:

karenworks said...

Hi Jenny,
I love your thread lace and I had a similar problem recently with some yarns that I needlefelted onto silk. I finally mounted my work on some hand dyed fabric and made a wall hanging. You can see the results on my blog at www.karenworks.blogspot.com. I had a little more glitz with the ribbon yarn around the outside and that seemed to finish it off. What do you think?

pcoxdesign said...

I think it is great to play. Not everything finishes to a grand design. What if you continue to play with these ideas? Get some books on thread painting or collage and experiment with the pieces you are making. You will find your "voice" and style in the process.
JMHO

Anonymous said...

Jenny,
The thread lace on the dark background is very dramatic and I think its is marvelous!
You have repurposed beautiful threads which would have been discarded...but you gave them a new life and a new story.

I am a dreamer :)) I see a thread-painted or appliquéd tree and this thread lace as the tree canopy extending from the top branches.
Add a moon and some groundscape and you have a powerful night scene. That is just my imagination taking flight...
~ happy wishes with your project!
DianeL

Jenny Williams said...

Wow! Great ideas from all of you! Thanks so much.
Karen -
your idea of cutting your "scarf" up and mounting to hand-dyed fabric, finishing it off with ribbon, really worked. But I don't want to just make this a wall hanging for myself. I really want to find a way to make this sing more.
PCox:
I'm just getting into collage a bit, which is my dilemma here. Guess I do need to get some books about collage.

Diane:
I do a LOT of fm threadpainting, my first love, but hadn't thought about incorporating this "lace" into that kind of background. Very interesting! You keep dreaming, girl. I really like that idea! It will be hard to cut up that thread lace, but with the right design, I would do it. I'll play some more. Thanks! And - there will be no shortage of thread from now on...
Jenny

Marti said...

Jenny,
Put this very cool piece on your design board; it will come to you!! (and if not, it's a beautiful practice piece.}
Also, loved your language piece below. I copied it to my daughter who is in college. She and a lot of her peers seem to do the question kind of talking. Drives me to distraction!