Tuesday, March 18, 2008

PAQA-S Jurying Over

The PAQA-S "ARTQUILTScultures" jurying is over. I entered two pieces - first The Stories of Women Are Told in Their Hands and then Psychedelic Steve. At least the Hands got a maybe. Psychedelic Steve didn't get a second glance. I meant to post Steve - but I don't have a good photo at hand. Maybe later. Now I have to decide whether to enter either of them somewhere else, or wait to see if Ann has any luck with the Arts In Embassies wanting some that weren't chosen for the show.
For our SOST (Sisterhood of the Sagging Tits) group - Julaine is putting together a cd of all of the pieces finished. She hopes to get a venue or sponsor for Houston. If nothing else, maybe she can sell the cd's.

Do you remember these lacing cards?




I had some when I was little and found a beautiful set of fairy cards for Sarah through the Magic Cabin catalog. I love this catalog. A bit pricey on lots of things, but so much fun for children! I also got her a tin tea set and a Good Night Peter Rabbit book with a nightlight in the cover for Easter. Both from Magic Cabin. Sarah took to these cards and demonstrated her artistic license by stitching them the way she wanted. That's my girl!

I'll be going to Raleigh Friday morning to pick her up. Keri (mom) has to work Friday and the daycare is closed for Good Friday. So of course Grammy just jumped at the chance to get her. Keri will come down after work. We will color eggs on Saturday. I can't wait!

I didn't have a photo posted on my profile until today. That is Sarah helping me choose the binding for Psychedelic Steve - what you can see of it.



Here is the original photo of Steve from around 1967: Isn't he cute?






I played with it in Photoshop - desaturated it, made it into a line drawing, then reversed it to use as a pattern.



So now - you can look at my profile picture and see him psychedelic'd!
Now that I'm pretty much finished with my part of the PAQA-S show stuff, I can get back to Steve's family slides. I bought a slide converter and a DVD burner. Keri put the DVD burner in for me a couple of weeks ago, but we need two cables to connect it. It's going to take me awhile to do these slides, so it won't matter yet.
I also just received the 3 yards of 14 oz. cotton canvas I ordered to make new covers for our director's chairs. Abbie bought us a beautiful set of teak director's chairs 9 or 10 years ago. The covers have started splitting, so now I get to try to make new ones. The tricky part will be rolling the edges and getting the covers tight enough not to sag. I am not looking forward to this at all. I tried to tell Steve that - YES! I have a sewing machine - BUT I AM AN ARTIST, NOT A SEAMSTRESS! Didn't phase him at all.



No comments: