Sunday, January 18, 2009

WISS & finished piece


Subscribe with Bloglines

As you can see, I'm still standing on the grungy old kitchen floor. No new floor yet. I was really hoping we'd have it in by now. Ah well. When you are at the mercy of a contractor...

I've been getting a lot of work done on my butterflies piece. I don't know whether it will be done in time to enter ARTQUILTStransitions for PAQA-South, but I'm feeling good about it. I've never worked on a piece this long. I actually began it last March or April. Now it's headed in a very different direction. So we'll see whether it works out or not. Great learning experience anyway.

Peter's girlfriend, Jill, has a birthday tomorrow. The same day as Edgar Allen Poe. They came for lunch yesterday and I gave her the piece I made last spring at the PAQA-South's spring retreat at Mary Beth Bellah's house in Charlottesville, VA. Jill fell in love with it a couple of months ago when she saw it. It's not very large and I'd been trying to figure out how to show it off to its best advantage. After seeing Lyric Kinard mount small pieces onto stretched gallery canvases, I decided to do that. I painted the canvas a combination of the colors in the piece and it came out really nice.


The photo doesn't do it justice. It looks much better in person and she was absolutely thrilled.
Here is some detail:

I hope she has somewhere to hang it...
Maybe NEXT week there'll be a new floor to show off!

2 comments:

-k. said...

Nice shoes woman!....and good things come to those who wait(ie:your floor).....as I am waiting for all this darned snow they say we are gonna get (....zzzzzzzzzzzzzz) haaaah.
I love the way Jills piece came out! beautiful!
as always!
mwah!!!

Lyric said...

Nice results! I especially like the way you set the piece off from teh canvas with the darker fabric (or is it paint) showing just a bit around it.
Very nice!